This article is part of my personal wiki where I write personal notes while I am learning new technologies. You are welcome to use it for your own learning!
Welcome to my notes on doing Pixel Art with Photoshop!
- Use a colored layer to draw upon (a blank canvas can be intimidating)
- Be suble with color
- Use pencil instead of brush (brush has antialiasing)
- Experiment with lighting and shading, adding shadows and illuminated areas to give a three dimensional effect and depth
- You can use dithering - matrix of squares of different shades - for adding old school textures
- use less straight lines to create more natural shapes and forms
- experiment, changing a single pixel can change the way a character is perceived
- Use colored outlines to separate foreground elements from background elements
- Start with the complete shape and then start adding detail
Tools for Doing Pixel Art
Written by Jaime González García , Front-end software engineer, tinkerer and master of the arcane arts. You should follow him on Twitter where he shares useful stuff!Follow @vintharas