This article is part of my personal wiki where I write personal notes while I am learning new technologies. You are welcome to use it for your own learning!
Welcome to my notes on doing Pixel Art with Photoshop!
- Use a colored layer to draw upon (a blank canvas can be intimidating)
- Be suble with color
- Use pencil instead of brush (brush has antialiasing)
- Experiment with lighting and shading, adding shadows and illuminated areas to give a three dimensional effect and depth
- You can use dithering – matrix of squares of different shades – for adding old school textures
- Developing characters
- use less straight lines to create more natural shapes and forms
- experiment, changing a single pixel can change the way a character is perceived
- Use colored outlines to separate foreground elements from background elements
- Start with the complete shape and then start adding detail