Don’t give up. Keep Iterating.
Every single time that I work on any creative endeavor the same process will unfold:
- I get this idea about something that I could build, write, draw, do and I become incredibly excited and brimming with enthusiasm.
- I build up the idea in my head into something awesome. A delightful and beautiful masterpiece. I envision how cool it’ll be when I finish it.
- I create the first version and it invariably sucks.
- Boom! Humongous Anticlimax. I get stressed, frustrated and/or slightly depressed depending of the day. I question my skill and value. If this sucks then I must suck as well.
- Now I have choice, I can remain in this pit of despair, I can give up, or I can get my shit together and keep iterating.
- Invariably again, consistent iteration will result in something much, much better. And sometimes, even something remarkable.
So don’t give up just yet. Iterate. That piece of ugly and amorphous stone you have right there might just turn into a beautiful shiny diamond.
Written by Jaime González García , dad, husband, software engineer, ux designer, amateur pixel artist, tinkerer and master of the arcane arts. You can also find him on Twitter jabbering about random stuff.